Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Goal

I posted a comment on the previous post and at http://considertraining.blogspot.com/ about goals.
People seem to forget that the goal is to get away. You may be unsuccessful in attaining your goal, but it's still the goal.
A while back I was chatting with some friends about how to build this goal in to dueling as it seemed that most training duels were ending in double death.  The last post looked at attribute training to get past this, here is a scenario option.
In fact I suggested 2 scenarios:
1) One person is guarding an object, the other has to get the object and exit the field of combat with it.
2) Both parties start from different sides with the same goal of getting the object and leaving with it.
The size of the 'field of combat' would be whatever was agreed.
The 'object' could be just something to touch, or something to really carry. Point is the importance of the exit.

As an aside, we did a very fun, somewhat related, drill once at Sonny's where both participants attached a post-it note onto the center of their T-shirts with a safety pin. Game was to grab the opponent's post-it without getting your own taken. This drill was about evasion, timing and range, and did not really emphasize the exit but certainly had some similar elements to it.

2 comments:

considerphlebas said...

I've got some of these. A couple recent ones.

Rescue:
Guard has person A "captive." Person B has to throw A a weapon so he can cut himself loose (symbolically. No actual rope necessary), and then guard his escape. Guard priorities are: 1. kill B, keep A prisoner, or failing that 2. Kill A before escape.

Reinforcement: A and B will fight. As soon anyone swings (hit or miss), C grabs a weapon and joins in on B's side. A can escape once B is down.

I remember demoing how escaping requires practice. I told my friend Basil, here, we're gonna say what's up, i'm gonna threaten you, get away when as you can. He's much faster than me, tried to just turn and sprint. I popped him on the head with a foam stick before he got three steps. I said, switch roles. When I turned away, he started to come get me, i turned back dropped into a fightin' stance, he pulled himself short and was trying to reposition himself to swing and then I ran for real. He was like, that was mindblowing, I was going to chase you, then you were right there, and then you vanished.

Maija said...

Escaping does indeed require practice, just turning and running is often not as easy at it might seem - like your friend found out. There is a graphic video, probably still out there, of a guy in Mexico I think, carrying a large knife and basically turning on a group of police that were trying to calm him down. Nasty outcome.